Monday, November 25, 2013

Refining Fire

I am a work in progress.  Pieces of a human.
Made whole only by Grace and love.

In my immature years, it was easy to believe that the world I lived in 
revolved around ME.
What mattered to me, how people treated me, what I wanted.

It was a thick wall of muck, lies and stubbornness
that kept me locked 'safely' in my world.
Naturally, it would take a lot to "tear down this wall".
A. LOT.

re·fine

 [ri-fahyn]  Show IPA verb, re·fined, re·fin·ing.
verb (used with object)
1.
to bring to a fine or a pure state; free from impurities: to refine metal, sugar, or petroleum.
2.
to purify from what is coarse, vulgar, or debasing; make elegant or cultured.
3.
to bring to a finer state or form by purifying.
4.
to make more finesubtleor precise: to refine one's writing style.
verb (used without object)
5.
to become pure.
6.
to become more fineelegant, or polished.
7.
to make fine distinctions in thought or language.

Trapped behind walls made of busyness, selfishness,
marriage, parenting, financial issues, decorating, school.

Each one was a blessing in and of itself - as the walls were being built,
while I was willfully ignoring the Lord, He remained faithful.
He used all of the impurities I was latching on to
and used them to fulfill His purpose.


He used the church I half-heartedly attended to
bring some of the most meaningful relationships to my life.

He used the unanswered prayers of a growing family
to spotlight the gifts he DID give.

When our daughter was misunderstood by many
of her peers and teachers, we were able
to (*finally*) be obedient and homeschool her.

When my husband was diagnosed with cancer,
we were able to see the blessings and shift the focus from
ourselves to Him.

He used a move from a life that seemed to
just be getting established to a familiar hometown 
with renewed friendships and a new church
with a deep faith and new relationships.

refine  (rɪˈfaɪn) 
— vb  (often foll by out )
1.to make or become free from impurities, sediment, or other foreign matter; purify
2.tr to separate (a mixture) into pure constituents, as in an oil refinery
3.to make or become free from coarse characteristics; make or become elegant or polished
4.to remove (something impure or extraneous)
5.intr often foll by  on or  upon to enlarge or improve (upon) by making subtle or fine distinctions
6.tr to make (language) more subtle or polished


I am not worthy of His continued faithfulness
and blessings in my brokenness.
But knowing that he uses the broken as the
vehicle of His will makes me excited
and anxious for what lies ahead.

There is a lot of refining left to do.
Now I'm at a point where I can look over the walls,
through the hedges and His light is shining through.

His light is now able to penetrate to my heart,
which is ready and willing to see
what His purpose has next.

2 comments:

~ Your comments are crucial to the refinement, I cherish them. ~