Friday, December 6, 2013

Flower power ~

Growing up the oldest of 4 kids, and having 2 sisters,
I always took for granted female relationships.
I wasn't very good at them until well into my 20s.

Women are awesome.
Not in a feminist way or "boys drool" way,
but each is truly unique with their own superpower.

Some are great listeners,
others great talkers.

Some a great shoppers,
others great savers.

Some are great cooks,
others great eaters.

You get my drift.

We need each individual woman with separate superpowers
in our diverse bouquet of friendships.

Rather than trying to make a daisy
smell like a rose, we can appreciate the few and funky
petals that are brightly colored.
We can appreciate the rose for being a subdued elegance
that is timeless and classic, a never failing standard.

I don't understand the women on the Real Housewive-type shows.
I've never had an altercation with a woman 
(that isn't a sister) like those women have.

Trying to mold someone into the narrow view
of what our individual ideal of friendship "should" be
is missing the point completely.

Some days are tulip days.
Some days require begonias.
For a short time, we are blessed with the narcissus.

When we see each women as specific
placement by the Lord, we can appreciate and understand
their purpose for our lives.

What kind of friends are in your bouquet?
Why not take a little time to send a hand-written note 
to one or two of them thanking them for how
they've added that perfect color/fragrance/accent to your nosegay.

Becky B. ~ thank you for being a friend that I love like my own family
and for ALWAYS being a place where I can laugh until I cry.

Lissa ~ thank you for being an amazing example of
discipline - you embody grace not perfection to me.

Becky S. ~ thank you for being the most tangible example
of obedience that I know.  It is such a virtue that has eternal blessings
and I am such a student of your personal commitment.

Kelley ~ thank you for being my friend for all these years!
You were my first "real" Christian friend and after
over 20 years (gasp!), that has been a timeless bond that cannot be severed.

Colby ~ thank you for being my friend where I can be authentically me,
you keep me in touch with my inner kid and I cherish that deeply!

The secret to friendships is to 
appreciate each one, individually.
Some are only meant for a season and wilt away
while others will blossom more beautifully than in previous seasons.
All have a potential to enhance who the Lord has created you to be.

4 comments:

  1. I love you so deeply and am so grateful for your friendship! You are class, and beauty, and belly laughs to me! oh and one of the best cooks around! You're the embodiment of hospitality. You're a peony, and you know there's nothing better than a peony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this made me cry. Wasn't expecting that:) So sweet Tracy thank YOU for always blessing with your words and kindness. The way you love is a gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post! Your writing has grown, frous! The Lord is so at work and I am just SMILING from ear to ear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited that you are blogging/writing again.
    I am sure that your friends are blessed to have you in their lives.

    The sweetest thing about lasting friendship is appreciating who God made your friends to be…and helping them be just that. Friends should call out what God has put in you…..

    nothing much sweeter than dear and true friendships.

    ReplyDelete

~ Your comments are crucial to the refinement, I cherish them. ~